The oncologist I saw yesterday , Dr. Jennifer Lucas, very personable and seemed experienced, said I definitely need a mastectomy on my right side and would advise one for the left because of the nature of the cancer that can only be detected with MRI's. I do not want to spend any more time in an MRI machine if I can help it, and the possibility of the left breast carcinoma becoming like the right, very large (over 7 cm all around) is very probable and I would end up with another mastectomy any way. So I am leaning toward a double mastectomy with radiation after.
Of course, the PET scan may reveal more information we will have to consider. They are looking for errant cancer cells in my body. I read stage III cancer of the right breast on the oncologist report and had an anxiety attack. I called the obudswoman, hereonin will be referred to as Cindi, and she felt Dr. Lucas was referring only to the right breast tumor because of its size. I am definitely not an overall Stage III and I am sorry any anxiety it has caused.
I am scheduling genetic counseling (probably after the surgery) and will find out if my cancer is BRCA 1 ir BRCA2 and then will have to have my ovaries removed (not a big deal, I don't think). It can be done through my belly button I bet. Then my sisters and daughter should get tested.
I see the Marin surgeon next Thursday and I hope to get on her schedule very soon. She has been out for a few weeks, is the mistress of reconstructive surgery (as is her team) and she is the best around according to many sources.
Tonight Rigdon, Bindy's windower, Mike Durrie, and I are going to hear Ken Burns at the Palace of Fine Arts. It will be good to do something other than think about my body. He is showing a film and discussing the National Parks and I know Point Reyes will be feature.
We will be staying at the Ream's in Palo Alto Thursday night, Stanford is at 8:30 a.m. on Friday, tumor board in the afternoon. I will be picking up slides and mammograms to deliver to that group.
Thank you for all the e-mails, advice, thoughts and prayers.
Welcome to blogging, Mom! Thanks so much for keeping us all informed. We are all thinking positive thoughts and sending you lots of love.
ReplyDeleteHow do I correct my spelling errors if the blog is already posted?
ReplyDeleteAt the bottom of your post (where it says "Posted by Trish Johnson) click on the pencil to edit the post.
ReplyDeleteI am stunned to learn of your new challenge, but I am not surprised at all that you are walking straight ahead; learning to blog in order to keep us all posted; and inviting our support and love. Which you have in HUGE doses. I also know that you know the magic worked by a positive attitude. You've shown us all that before. You are strong and wonderful and beautiful and will be more of all of these when you are recovered. Lynn
ReplyDeleteHope you have a good visit with Anne and Chris. Let's hope Stanford has some reasonable suggestions for your care. I am working tomorrow night, but will get in touch. Much love, Gina
ReplyDelete