I have detested the tubes coming out of my arm pits since the surgery. They are painful all the time and there is no relief and the one on the left came out completely this morning. I will wait until Monday and the surgeon will make the decision to perhaps put in a new one, depending on how much fluid may have built up. I was surprised the tube went so far into my body about 12 inches. It had been doing its job except the top broke off the bottle and we had to get some new pieces for repair. Since there is so much research in the field of cancer, perhaps a little bit of it could be spent on finding a better way to drain the fluids after a mastectomy. There has got to be a neater, less painless method for draining, emptying and measuring the output.
This turn of events has put Rigdon into quite a spin. He was looking forward to the tubes coming out next week, he discusses them as if they were part of his body and how can he go through all this again? There will be a drainage tube for the lymph nodes definitely on the right. He has risen to the occasion and gotten over any of the discomfort he had at the sight of bleeding, oozing or bruised body parts. The lymph node involvement has terrified him because of the implications. I feel I am outside this situation, looking at the reports and the diagnosis and figure this is not me who is going through this. I think I will take a walk, return to the house and will be told this cancer experience has happened to someone else, I am only the observer. I feel insensate to any pain lately, it is there and it hurts less daily. Then I think about Monday's surgery.
Apparently, removed lymph nodes can affect the healing on the right side (where my cancerous ones are), grasping, lifting and knitting. Well, now I have a real excuse for not finishing the baby sweater I have been working on for over a year. When my daughter asks me what she can do for me, I say "finish the sweater" and she says "no way", maybe I can finish it over the weekend before the surgery. Fat chance.
It's been a long difficult day for Rigdon, he has his e-mail notice about the new twist of fate written but I wouldn't let him send it out until I finished my blog. Change of guard tomorrow, Suzanne Tyler leaves and my sister, Georgina, joins us until June 8th. When I tell Rigdon I don't need anyone here 24/7, he says, "I do."
darling, this is all just too horrid and you are being so amazing. daniel is not working right now and asked me to let you know that he would be glad to do a weeks shift of cooking and taking care of anything that needs fixing. (He's not so sure he qualifies for the company part...). I would be more than happy to come up for a weekend to cook for you all. please let me know what we can do to help. love, d
ReplyDeleteWell that is certainly not what anyone wanted to hear, but, it's good that they have the technology to hunt down and kill these highly elusive cells. Better that than a false negative result. Keep on keepin' on, we are all thinking of you, Cathy
ReplyDelete